Brigham Young University (BYU) in Provo, Utah offers a variety of scholarships to help offset the cost of tuition for eligible students. These scholarships are awarded based on a range of criteria including academic achievement, leadership potential, financial need, and specific talents or abilities.
Here are some of the scholarships offered at BYU Provo:
- BYU Academic Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to incoming freshmen and transfer students based on their academic achievements. The scholarship amount varies depending on the student’s GPA and ACT/SAT scores.
- BYU Multicultural Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to students who have demonstrated leadership and service in the multicultural community. It is available to incoming freshmen and transfer students.
- BYU Talent Award: This scholarship is awarded to students who demonstrate exceptional talent in music, dance, theater, or visual arts. Students must audition or submit a portfolio to be considered for the award.
- BYU Need-Based Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to students who demonstrate financial need. Eligibility is based on the student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by the FAFSA.
- BYU Departmental Scholarships: Many departments at BYU offer scholarships to students majoring in their respective fields. These scholarships vary in amount and eligibility requirements.
To apply for BYU scholarships, students must submit an application through the BYU Scholarship Portal. Deadlines vary depending on the scholarship, so it’s important to check the specific requirements and deadlines for each scholarship.
The specific requirements for BYU Provo scholarships vary depending on the scholarship. However, here are some general requirements that may apply:
- Academic achievement: Many scholarships are awarded based on a student’s GPA and standardized test scores (ACT/SAT). Students may need to maintain a certain GPA to continue receiving the scholarship.
- Financial need: Some scholarships are awarded based on the student’s financial need as determined by the FAFSA. Students may need to submit additional financial information to be considered.
- Leadership and service: Some scholarships are awarded based on the student’s demonstrated leadership potential and service in the community.
- Talents and abilities: Some scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate exceptional talent in music, dance, theater, or visual arts. Students may need to audition or submit a portfolio to be considered.
- Major or department: Some scholarships are awarded to students who are majoring in a specific field or department at BYU.
- Enrollment status: Some scholarships may only be available to full-time students, while others may be available to part-time students.
It’s important to check the specific requirements and deadlines for each scholarship that you are interested in applying for. You can find more information about BYU Provo scholarships on the university’s website or by contacting the BYU Financial Aid Office.
Purpose of the scholarship
The purpose of scholarships at BYU Provo is to provide financial assistance to eligible students to help them afford the cost of tuition and other educational expenses. Scholarships are typically awarded based on academic achievement, financial need, leadership potential, talents and abilities, or other specific criteria.
Scholarships can help ease the financial burden of attending college, allowing students to focus on their studies and pursue their educational goals. They can also open up opportunities for students who might not otherwise be able to afford a college education, enabling them to pursue their dreams and contribute to society in meaningful ways.
In addition to providing financial assistance, scholarships can also help recognize and reward academic achievement and other accomplishments. This can help motivate and encourage students to continue striving for excellence in their studies and other endeavors.
Overall, scholarships at BYU Provo serve an important role in helping to make higher education accessible and affordable for a diverse range of students.
How to apply
To apply for scholarships at BYU Provo, you will need to complete an application through the BYU Scholarship Portal. Here are the steps to apply:
- Visit the BYU Scholarship Portal at https://scholarships.byu.edu/.
- Log in with your BYU Net ID and password.
- Click on the “Apply” tab at the top of the page.
- Browse through the available scholarships and click on the scholarship you want to apply for.
- Review the scholarship requirements and eligibility criteria.
- Complete the application form for the scholarship, including any required essays or supporting materials.
- Submit your application by the deadline.
You can apply for multiple scholarships through the BYU Scholarship Portal using the same application form. It’s important to note that the application deadlines and requirements may vary for each scholarship, so be sure to read the instructions carefully.
If you have any questions about the scholarship application process, you can contact the BYU Financial Aid Office at 801-422-4104 or visit their website at https://financialaid.byu.edu/.